By Syed Akbar
Health experts suggest the following remedial measures to curb the problem of cut practice:
1. The concept of general practitioner or family physician referring patients to specialists depending on the situation.
2. Doctors should prescribe only generic drugs and evidence-based
3. The price control order has to be reviewed adding costly anti-cancer
drugs, stents and other implant material.
4. The manufacturing price and the margin of profit shall only be 50
to 100 per cent.
5. Striking the name of the erring doctor from the rolls who are
found to be resorting to unethical practises and giving powers under AP Medical Council and Medical Council of India Acts.
6. Medical representatives shall meet only purchase committees of the
7. Penal action against pharma companies that lure doctors.
1. Thou shalt not accept gifts from pharmaceutical companies.
2. Thou shalt not go on tours sponsored by drug firms.
3. Thou shalt not accept cash either as gift or as incentives.
4. Thou shalt not engage in research work without the approval of the institutional ethics committee.